With warm weather finally here, vacations are just around the corner.
Whether you are discovering beautiful New England or somewhere further abroad, at Jamieson Insurance we want to make sure you plan ahead before you travel. Please review the below pre-travel planning tips to keep your home safe while you are away.
For Your Home:
- If traveling for more than a week, consider unplugging all appliances except for your refrigerator and freezer to keep the energy bill down.
- Adjust your air-conditioning to the lowest possible setting, or shut it off completely. Some air-conditioning systems have a power saver mode.
- Hire a house-sitter or ask a good friend to visit twice a week to check the property and collect mail.
- Set a few lights on timers. Have them turn on just before dark and shut off at midnight to give the impression that someone is home.
- Entrust a close neighbor with your house key for emergency situations.
- Stow away your valuables – laptops, art, money – in a safe or store them with someone trustworthy.
- Review your homeowners or renter’s policy and make certain your home and valuables are fully covered should something happen while traveling. Call a Jamieson agent today to schedule a policy review at 802-496-2080.
For You and Your Family:
Although prepping your house before a vacation is important, keeping you and your family safe is even more important. From money to passports, make sure your plan ahead before taking off. Here are some tips to keep your family vacation fun and worry-free.
- Be sure to have extra physical and digital copies of your passport, visas, driver’s license, and important phone numbers should you need them. Leave a copy of your passport and driver’s license with someone you trust before you go.
- Call your credit card company and let them know where you will be traveling so you don’t get locked out of your account.
- Store extra cash in your clothes and luggage for emergencies.
- Pack an extra set of clothes in your carry on in case of lost luggage.
- Contact your Jamieson insurance agent to see if a rental car would be covered under your current policy. It is also a good idea to ask if you require any other additional insurance for traveling abroad.
No matter the season, Jamieson Insurance is always available to review any of your insurance policies. We are also happy to answer any other travel-related questions you may have. Call us today at 802-496-2080.